CALL FOR COMMUNITY PARTNERS
Service providers and advocates who work directly with human trafficking survivors and have a need for legal expertise.
- human trafficking community organizations
- youth, LGBTQI and immigrant community-based services
- nonprofit legal providers
- public defenders
- victim’s assistance organizations
- domestic violence and sexual assault organizations
CALL FOR LEGAL EXPERTISE
Attorneys with expertise in different areas of law who are matched to need based on their availability and skills. Includes attorneys in law firms or private practice, corporate counsel, pro bono attorneys and legal service providers.
- family law
- civil litigation
- criminal law
- tax law
- general, commercial and contract law
Those who escape their horrific situations suffer from trauma and often have many interlocking needs. The complexity of human trafficking calls for each survivor’s advocate to access a wide range of legal expertise. For example, the same person may need to divorce her trafficker who is also her husband, negotiate with debt collection agencies and expunge her criminal record for crimes she was forced to commit while trafficked. ALIGHT's community partners, such as advocates and service providers from anti-trafficking, domestic violence and other victim services agencies who work with trafficking survivors, identify the survivor's legal needs and posts requests for help (on behalf of the survivor) in the Program.
Human trafficking survivors’ diverse and pressing needs touch on different areas of law, for example:
- Criminal Law -- warrants, seal or expunge criminal records, access crime victim compensation, victim-centered support during criminal proceedings / class actions
- Family Law -- orders of protection or restraining orders, child custody and visitation, child support, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, family reunification
- Civil Law -- civil damages, restitution, access to public benefits, access to public housing, access to crime victim compensation, unemployment benefits, back wages, sexual harassment or discrimination, tax filing requirements, credit and debt issues
Matching Survivors' Needs to Legal Expertise
Developments in technology enable new growth and possibility for the legal community to contribute to real improvements in the lives of trafficking survivors. For the first time, we have the opportunity to use real-time, mobile technology that can sort, match and connect diverse legal needs of survivors (Need) to relevant and available legal expertise (Expertise).
In the Program, ALIGHT uses technology to rapidly connect survivors to the right attorney at the right time. ALIGHT is partnering with Caravan Studios, a division of TechSoup Global and a pioneer in community-driven solutions, to implement an innovative needs matching tool (the 4Bells app).
Join the Program
Do you want to be part of the solution? Fill out the form below to get in touch, or write here!