How do we move our vision forward in 2018?
As we near the 1-year anniversary of the ALIGHT Legal Needs Matching Pilot in the Denver metro area, we are grateful to all the individuals who are part of this effort to rapidly match survivor legal needs with untapped legal expertise. To our community partners, pro bono lawyers, volunteers, supporters and donors to the 2017 Annual Appeal – Thank You.
Your generous support and giving is helping us jump-start an exciting year of expanded services to greater Colorado. On February 1, 2018 we will be launching phase II of the Pilot and working hard to double our impact.
Looking forward, we are excited to learn from our participants and share results and insights from phase I, collaborate with new partners and communities, and ultimately connect more survivors to the legal assistance they need to rebuild and thrive.
Finally, January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month – and a great time to get involved in anti-trafficking efforts. We hope you join us!
In Full Light,
The ALIGHT Team
ALIGHT exists to unlock a fresh start for survivors. We ENVISION a world where every human trafficking survivor connects to a mobilized legal network to rebuild and thrive.
NATIONAL SLAVERY AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING PREVENTION MONTH
Here are 5 ideas for participating in ways big and small:
1. Become an ALIGHT Ambassador of Light to engage your community on this issue
2. Investigate your own Slavery Footprint from a test by Made In A Free World
3. Dive deeper into media and documentaries on the University of Denver Human Trafficking Center website
4. Save the National Human Trafficking Hotline # to report suspected trafficking and connect to resources: 1-888-3737-888
5. Workout for Good with Hot Mamas on January 28th at noon
In honor of this national campaign of awareness, Hot Mamas Exercise studios will generously donate its class to ALIGHT.
Join us January 28 at 12pm for Sweatin’ like a Mutha, one of Hot Mamas’ “fun, challenging and seriously effective workouts for women” and some great conversation, community, and mimosas afterwards with ALIGHT. (Men welcome too!)
Recommended donation for the class is $15.
701 South Logan Street, Denver, Colorado 80209
UPCOMING 2018 ALIGHT EVENTS
We look forward to presenting at these conferences later this year – more details to come in our Spring Newsletter!
MAY 19, 2018 THE COLORADO WOMEN’S BAR ASSOCIATION (CWBA) WONDER WOMAN CONFERENCE, VAIL, CO: “Be a Superhero while Avoiding Kryptonite: Trauma-Informed Legal Services and Avoiding Compassion Fatigue” (view more here)
JUNE 5, 2018 COLORADO ADVOCACY IN ACTION CONFERENCE, VAIL, CO: “Human Trafficking: Spot the Signs, Identify Legal Needs and Take Next Steps” (register here)
ALIGHT INTRODUCES NEW BOARD OF DIRECTORS
ALIGHT is pleased to welcome two new Board of Directors. To read more about these and other members, visit Our Team.
- Melinda Delmonico (BA, Texas A&M University) is the CEO of Gibson Arnold & Associates, which has been nationally recognized as a top woman-owned business. Ms. Delmonico contributes her vast experience with crafting strategic vision and serving the national legal community in support of ALIGHT’s efforts.
- Lucy Stribley (MBA, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business) was most recently Senior Vice President/Partner with Booz Allen and Hamilton. Ms. Stribley lends over 25 years of experience with delivering strategy and technology services to support ALIGHT’s mission. She serves as Board Treasurer.
OCTOBER 28, 2017 U.N. DAY: Last fall we partnered with the U.N. Association of Denver to offer a special community discussion featuring A.G. Cynthia Hoffman and representatives from The Colorado Human Trafficking Council, The Laboratory to Combat Human Trafficking and ALIGHT, along with the novelist Peg Brantley and moderator Dr. Susanne Jalbert.
From that event, Dr. Jalbert generously shares the salient points in her position paper here.
Click on AmazonSmile and sign up ALIGHT as your charity of choice, and Amazon will donate 0.5 percent of the price of your eligible purchases.